For those of you that don’t know, I finished my college last year and looking back on those three memorable years I remembered wanting to make a lasting impression and at times tried too hard in the initial days. Each year I got better with my outfits and by the time my college was done I selected the simplest ensembles with a slight edge to make it more interesting. Transitioning from an ‘all outfit matching’ girl to a ‘monochrome lover’, in terms of fashion I learnt way too many things in a span of three years.
We all girls get lazy at some point and my weakness was ironing my pashmina scarves ‘wrinkle free’ in mornings. My first and foremost advice would be to schedule your outfits for the entire week on Saturday evenings. Secondly instead of choosing 5 outfits, mix and match at least 6 in that way your most comfy outfit becomes your life saver on those lazy mornings.
Long tops & Jumpers are your best friends when you wake up late. From baseball Tees to Victoria Secret Sweatshirts you will have so much fun styling them with classic accessories, edgy shoes and the classic highschool backpacks.
2. Layered Outfits: Spring is the most beautiful among the lot, Jeans jackets & burgundy fennel shirts loud & clear are the perfect way to go for the Spring & fall season. Layers have the unique and one of a kind ability to expand your wardrobe and give you the option to wear your wardrobe favorites all year around.
3. Maxi Cardigans & Kimonos: Stores are packed with long maxi cardigans and as a Hijabi I’m thrilled. LONG cardigans from knee-lengths to floor-lengths are massive, chunky knits for winter to thin fabrics & lace kimonos are my ultimate fav for the summers, each one end up giving you an effortless sleek style.
4. Skirts: Maxi skirts are a hijabi’s best friend to be precise, these amazing creation not only lets you feel the most comfortable but ends up being your most cherished item in a wardrobe. An evening party looks to classic boho persona in minutes you can achieve them with this trendy wardrobe essential. My personal fav is pairing a maxi skirt with converse and jeans shirt, also, skirts make the perfect college presentation attire with a blazer.
5. Nothing can replace the versatility of a classic black maxi dress. But prints are so in this year and everyone is loving them. Plus the long kurta trend or the high slit long tops are going viral all around the globe, so why not incorporate the craze in your everyday college outfits.
6. Cute Dresses: The only dress you wanna wear this season at school is an Ariana Grande-style skater dress — and for good reason. It’s a super flattering style that will really never go out of style. A denim jacket is a back-to-school staple that will come in handy all semester. Being a hijabi pair your cute skater dress with leggings instead of stockings and accessorize with chunky necklaces and bags.
Picking out college outfits is such a dilemma for some and over the course of your college journey, your fashion style is bound to change. So stay stylish, sleek and simple.
Until next time, Toodles.
Much Love, Rahma